Saturday 17 March 2007

6) Concerning gardens and insurance

Beautiful Spring day today, although air still quite cool. Lots of activity in the pond and first frogspawn laid on Monday. Blue tits investigating the bird box with a view to seasonal rental. Makes me want to get out in the garden and start tidying up, but I’ve set myself the target of finishing a picture of two cats today. Open Up will be with us before we can blink and I want to get one more original painting done next week. Then I can spend the time over Easter framing work up and cutting endless mounts for the new prints. I also want to spend some time on the garden, the grass is ready for its first cut and I like the garden to be tidy enough to give pleasure when people visit for Open Up. My studio is on the first floor, which doubles as a conservatory and has a fantastic light. It also has a lovely view of the garden and I really enjoy watching the wild birds on the feeders and watching the garden change with the seasons. Its very much a spring garden, with lots of bulbs, azaleas and camellias, so it looks its best in early May, and from a distance you can’t tell the difference between grass and moss.
The big problem with our house is having an upstairs studio. Firstly, its totally inaccessible for the disabled and secondly, it adds further risks when opening up to the public. Until last year, Open Up took out public liability insurance for its participating artists/venues, but each year the premium climbed and it was limited to one claim. I contacted my household insurance company to see about cover last year but the add-on premium for the event was exorbitant. However, through the networking meeting held by Open Up this January, I had the chance to discuss the issue with other participants. It would seem that Gold Membership of the Society for all Artists (SAA), based in Newark, gives the best deal for what I’m looking for. I was already an ordinary member so for an extra £20 I am now covered for Public Liability 365 days/ year. This means that I’m not only covered for Open Up but also for when people visit to arrange commissions, choose frames or come for tuition. It pains me to have to live and work in such a litigious world but that’s how things are, and peace of mind is worth a lot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.