Sunday 20 April 2008

What a relief!!

Phew! I can breathe again...We opened the kiln at Rufford today after yet another firing which was cut short due to lack of wood. The last time this happened the results were very drab, and so I was very very anxious about this one as I had alot of work in it and it is the last firing till end June and I need the work for my various imminent exhibitions, and, of course, Open Up. So I am very very chuffed that the firing was in fact, overall, a success. The shows I have coming up are at the Harlequin Gallery, London June 9th (I think), Fifiefofum in Northumberland 3rd May, and Hornseys Gallery, Ripon, any time soon.

I will attach some pictures of the firing, and will get some photos of the work up when I've taken some! But then with Open Up only a week away, there's not much time to go!!

I tried to scatter some publicity round Doncaster last week as that's where I live - however, the library no longer has much of a leaflets section but I left a couple there anyway, the tourist information wouldn't put the booklets out (though they are displaying the leaflets) so the rest have gone to contacts and doctor's surgery and I'm saving some for the Youth Forum that I am working with tomorrow evening. I didn't have many booklets anyway as YAS didn't seem to have a very large amount. The rest of my publicity has been an email round my mailing list. I haven't redone my business cards as just have not had the time, though I will see whether I can get a small batch done this week.

My studio is still an almighty health hazard, my plinths still unpainted, and my plans to make lots of small saleable items have come to naught. I am not a fulltime potter, and I have been paticularly hands-off for a lot of the time whilst I've been writing this blog...I am hoping to have a good crack at it in June, July and possibly August. But I am now confident I can put on a very decent show for next Saturday. And i'm looking forward to meeting new people and hearing their thoughts on my work - (NB to add to list - make sure I get out the comments book....)

See you all next Saturday - I shall write more in the week. In the meantime here are some photos of the kiln at Rufford in action.

No comments: